A Midi Love Affair

2.19.2015

There doesn't seem to be a precise definition on exactly what length qualifies as a 'midi' skirt, but I've decided to take some leeway and deem it anywhere below the knee and above the ankle. Being 5'3" (okay 5'2"ish) I never thought I could pull off a long skirt. I'd been told by every woman's magazine that I needed a hemline just above my knees to betray my short stature. When midi skirt became all the rage last year, I decided what the hell - I'm going to give them a try. And I've never looked back! Here are my favorite midi looks and some tips on wearing this tricky, but oh-so-lovely length. 
Keep proportions in check. Balance the volume and length of a midi skirt with a slim fitting top and round-tow pumps. Keeping the color palette more neutral with a bold skirt also helps add length to the look. {Original post here}
A crop top is the perfect way to balance a midi and keep it fresh. I also added modern heels to keep the look cool and relevant. {Original post here}
Mix it up by pairing an elegant ballerina-esque midi skirt with a crop top and a leather jacket. The touch of edge from the jacket and leopard heels adds some fun. {Original post here}
Midi isn't just for skirts - this retro floral and plaid dress has throwback feel. The leather jacket and d'orsay heels make the outfit pop. {Original post here}
This is one of my absolute favorite looks. It pairs two of my favorite elements: polka dots and yellow. The tucked in blouse keeps the waistline defined and the printed wedges add height and an unexpected pattern to the mix.{Original post here}
This romantic midi dress has lovely proportions. The waist is nipped and the v-neckline adds length to the silhouette. Pointed-toe heels extend the leg line so you're not totally enveloped in dress. {Original post here}
An easy way to create a crop top? Knot a tee! I love this casual take on the midi with a bold floral prints (with pleats!) and unique stacked heels. {Original post here}

Okay, so by now you've probably figured out my midi skirt formula. Midi + Crop Top + Leather Jacket + Pointy Heels = success! {Original post here}
For a dressed-up take on the midi skirt that's perfect for a date night (or NYFW in my case) I paired a bold floral midi, crop top, sexy t-strap sandals and a bright yellow mini purse. {Original post here}

13 comments:

Rachel Martino said...

You look incredible and florals + midi length skirts and dresses fit you perfectly!

http://lartoffashion.blogspot.com

Rachel Martino said...

The skirt in the first photo is amazing! You look great.
|| D I A N A ||
www.TheNeonFactor.com

Rachel Martino said...

You look great in these skirts. I am on the shorter side too and I have yet to find a midi skirt that I love. You've inspired me to keep looking because they look incredible on you.

xx Alicia
www.betweenthepearls.com

Rachel Martino said...

I love that post! And all your outfits are simply gorgeous! Have been on the look for a midi skirt for some time now, but you definitely inspire me to get more serious to the task :D xx

http://booksandmacarons.blogspot.co.uk/

Rachel Martino said...

Some really lovely skirts! That very first shot is my absolute favorite though. And they all look great on you!

xo, Charlotte

www.thelittleorangedress.blogspot.com

Rachel Martino said...

I like the feminine silhouette but where did you buy them? When I go to the mall, all I seem to see are mini skirts. :(

http://sunovereden.blogspot.com/

Rachel Martino said...

Hi Sophie, click on the Original Posts' to get links to each outfit's pieces. For the most part all the midi skirts featured are from H&M or Asos.com. Thanks!

Rachel Martino said...

Yay! That means they're affordable. Thanks for replying. Also, I've been following you on instagram for a while but I never knew you had a youtube channel until today. I'm going to binge-watch all your videos tomorrow. :)

Rachel Martino said...

you look amazing <3 <3

Rachel Martino said...

LOVE all of these looks, Rachel! My favorite has to be the first one. Talk about a show-stopper!

xo,
Natalie
CincinNatalie

Rachel Martino said...

Tu es sublime dans toutes ces tenues je suis vraiment super fan, comme toujours!!!


Bisous


Tiff


http://mabulledepensees.blogspot.fr

Si & Talk said...

Rachel tu es sublime. Le troisième look est mon favoris. En tout cas ce style de jupe te va à ravir.

Sihem

www.siandtalk.com

Rachel Martino said...

You pull off midi skirts SO well! I love them too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...